Amazon’s Prime Day is in full stride for 2018 and the retail giant continues to innovate and drive more business to its platform than ever before.
What were some of the highlights from last year’s Prime Day?
- Conversion rates reached 18.6%—more than 50% above the previous week 1
- 7x the number of Amazon Echo Dots were sold in 2017 compared to 2016
- More than 100 deals were only available to voice shoppers
- The most popular non-echo item in the U.S. and Canada was the Instant Pot pressure cooker
What’s going on this year?
Amazon is positioning itself as your number one shopping destination by getting its smart devices into millions of homes. Consumers who purchase an Echo device increase their spending on Amazon by 29% afterwards. 2
The most prominent deal is the $100 discount off the Amazon Show—an Amazon bluetooth speaker with a 7-inch screen—which has potential to drive voice purchasing even more, with the ability to visualize products before buying, a step up from the previous voice-only Echo and Echo Dot.
What better way to get consumers buying more on Amazon than making it easier to buy devices intended to encourage and facilitate Amazon shopping?
This year’s Prime Day has been touted as the time to buy electronics, such as smart home devices or a new TV. 3
Last year’s trend was to buy your new kitchen appliances on Prime Day (especially if you wanted an Instant Pot) and this year is looking to follow suit, with Instant Pot taking up some prime real estate on the Kitchen and Dining home page.
Instant Pot was an instant Prime Day success last year and Amazon intends to continue the trend
Amazon’s competitors have caught on.
- Target is also holding a one-day sale today on various items. If you spend at least $100, you will receive a free six-month subscription to Target’s grocery delivery service, Shipt.
- eBay’s CEO has announced that “eBay will hold a large deals event on the week of July 16 to showcase our significant inventory and price advantages.” 4
- During Prime Day 2017, 47 of the 100 largest U.S. retailers offered some kind of sales deal on Amazon Prime Day to attract shoppers and take advantage of the increased internet shopping traffic
Target’s website features this new banner for its July 17th sale
WATCH OUR WEBINAR to find out more about how to grow your brand on Amazon.